Friday, December 2, 2011

Windy....

What a crazy couple of days it has been!

On the radio Wednesday they kept saying that there was a storm coming, 70 mph winds to be expected that evening and into Thursday morning.  I had NO idea what that would bring to this area, or our home for that matter.  My husband and I both were up listening to the craziness that was going on outside that night.  Finally at 6 am we just decided to get up.  This is what we found.




Our awning covering our back porch... GONE... ripped apart... destroyed.  Since it was garbage day everyone put out their cans... well... they were no longer where they were supposed to be.  Cans were everywhere.  Trash was everywhere.  We were the lucky ones though.  As the winds kept howling we turned on the news to hear about all the devastation that was occurring all around us.  I obviously didn't have a clue what the neighborhood experienced at this point.  Semi trucks had been knocked over, winds reaching up to 102 mph.  Power was out in several cities, mine included.  We lost power at 8 am, and didn't get it again until around 5 am the following morning.  School was cancelled so I decided to get the kids out of the house.  I knew it was going to be getting colder and there really was only so much you could do without power and my house was as clean as it could get ;)  I called my mom who lives about 30 minutes away to see how her house held up.  She said "Storm?  What storm?  It is beautiful here!"  Done.  We were out the door in 5 minutes to hang out at my mom's house.  She was right.  No wind, and sunshine.  So crazy.  On the way to her house we drove around the neighborhood to see what damage had been done.  I honestly couldn't believe my eyes.  This is a couple of examples of the damage.  We lost about 25 trees in our area alone.  THANK GOODNESS no injuries or deaths have been reported.  What a blessing.


5 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm glad you guys are safe! I've never seen winds like that before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!!! so glad you and your family are safe and sound!!! i do hope the neighborhood can rally together and get things back together!!!!
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am so glad you are safe! :) I hate those kinds of storms. I grew up on the west coast and we used to get a doozy like that every couple of years. Scary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow!!! That is crazy!!!

    Jen@FoodFamilyFitness

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy wind!!! WOW!!!!

    Glad you & your family are safe!!

    T.

    ReplyDelete