Saturday, August 14, 2010

OH MY CHOCOLATE....

Okay... so I am no longer on my "competition diet" so although I still plan to keep my fitness journey blog alive I figured that I had better find other "normal" things to write about. I have had all kinds of cravings since the show. One of which is my mom's chocolate bars that I grew up eating. They are insanely good. Not so insanely good for you. Sooo.... being the way I am I took it and tried to make it a little healthier or at least a little more guilt free and they turned out AWESOME! Had to share the recipe... and a photo of the beautiful CHOCOLATE.



Ingredients

3 cups quick cooking oats
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened (you could use Applesauce... I didn't... this time)
2 cups packed SPLENDA brown sugar
2 Eggs
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (I used the fat free one)
1 1/2 cups SUGAR FREE chocolate chips
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
In a large bowl, beat together 1 cup butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Mix in eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla. In another bowl, combine oats, flour, baking soda, and 1 teaspoon salt; stir into butter mixture. Set aside.
In a medium saucepan, heat sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chips, 2 tablespoons butter, and 1/2 teaspoon salt over low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla.
Pat 2/3 of the oat mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread chocolate mixture evenly over the top, and dot with remaining oat mixture.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in preheated oven. Let cool on a wire rack, then cut into bars.

4 comments:

  1. Oh for the love all things good and holy- those chocolate bars look scrumdiddlyumptious! You need a *WARNING* label so that I can prepare myself for pictures of yummy goodness:)

    I bet it is just wonderful post-competition to continue eating healthy BUT l-i-v-i-n-g normally, which includes indulgences here and there and celebrating with friends and family over yummy food:) My fitness and health goals will always be to eat a balanced, whole clean diet but definitely have my cake and eat it, too (or three!) Life is too darn short not to enjoy a slice of pie!:)

    CHOCOLATE RULES!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha... so true... it is really hard after prepping for a competition to figure out what "normal" is. I mean... I still feel guilty everytime I eat fruit, or even look at chocolate but I am trying. I really am. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i did my 1st show in june, bikini, but did it as a high raw vegan. extremely litle protein powder, no eggs, no animal products, no dairy, etc..and I am never hungry, I eat what I want, and I dont compromise my dietary (vegan) principles...I read your post on april's site and it made me sad to think you feel you are mean when prepping for a show. honey, that's not good! i just posted about not compromising your beliefs the other day
    http://www.loveveggiesandyoga.com/2010/08/progress-pictures-fitness-show-diet.html

    anyway, i hope you continue to compete and have 100% fun doing it!! I am mom too and always am trying to find the balance between blogging, working, training, my hubs, my child...it's hard!

    anyway hi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow these look great! I think I will try them and maybe mix in some chocolate protein powder as well...we'll see what happens!
    Great blog as well!

    ReplyDelete