Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Flax Bread

Holy batman, did I have a vent session or what? Thank you so much for listening, and for your kind words of support. It has been a rough couple of weeks at my household. Topping it off my daughter wound up with the flu so I spent my entire night on the hour every hour holding her hair while she prayed to the porcelain God. Poor baby. She has been sick a couple of times today as well, with a fever but seems to be going down. I finally got her to eat... cereal.. she is just like me :)

Anywho, had to share a recipe. I made some flax bread this morning. I LOVE me some bread and lowering my carbs is always super duper hard for me but unfortunately that is one of the ONLY ways I can drop any weight so I have to find my "fixes".

Low Carb Flax bread

2 C Flax seed meal
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
1-2 Tbsp Sugar (I used 1 T sf honey, and 1 T torani brown sugar cinnamon syrup)
5 eggs, beaten (I used 3 whole and 2 egg whites)
1/2 C water
1/3 C unsweetened applesauce (or oil, or pumpkin)

Preheat oven to 350

  • Mix dry ingredients well
  • Mix wet ingredients well and add to dry
  • Let batter thicken for 2-3 minutes but not too long
  • Pour into pan (I used 11x13 baking dish)
  • Bake 20 minutes
I cut mine up like brownies and then sliced it again in half again the long way (does that make sense?) I threw it under the broiler and toasted it then had a sandwich. Super good. Makes approx 12 servings.


Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 1 slices
Amount per Serving
Calories 106
Calories from Fat 64.2
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 7.13g
10%
Saturated Fat 0.38g
1%
Cholesterol 53.75mg
17%
Sodium 234.35mg
9%
Total Carbohydrate 7.27g
2%
Dietary Fiber 5.44g
21%
Sugars 0.5g
Protein 6.17g
12%

Est. Percent of Calories from:

Fat
59%
Carbs
27%
Protein
23%

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calories needs.




1 comment:

  1. I can't believe this bread is only made of flax! Very neat. I'll have to try this when I pick up some flaxseed. Hope your daughter gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete